Button batteries are small, cylindrical batteries that are commonly found in household items such as remote controls, watches, and toys. While they can be useful for powering electronic devices, they can also be dangerous if accidentally ingested by children. If your child has swallowed a button battery, it’s important to act quickly to minimize the risk of injury.
Here’s what to do if your child swallows a button battery:
Seek medical attention immediately.
If you suspect that your child has swallowed a button battery, call your local poison control center or go to the emergency room right away. The longer the battery stays in your child’s body, the greater the risk of injury.
Remove the battery if possible.
If you can see the battery stuck in your child’s throat or nose, try to gently remove it with a pair of tweezers. Do not try to remove the battery if it is stuck in the ear or if it is not visible.
Follow the instructions of medical professionals.
The medical team will assess the situation and determine the best course of action. This may involve performing x-rays, endoscopies, or other procedures to locate and remove the battery.
Take precautions to prevent future accidents.
Once your child has received medical treatment, it’s important to take steps to prevent similar accidents from occurring in the future. Keep all items containing button batteries out of reach of children, and always supervise children when they are playing with electronic devices.
Button batteries can cause serious injury or even death if ingested by children.
The consequences of button battery ingestion depend on the size of the battery, the length of time it stays in the body, and the location of the battery in the body. Symptoms of button battery ingestion may include vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and abdominal pain.
If your child has ingested a button battery, it’s important to act quickly to minimize the risk of injury. Follow the steps outlined above and seek medical attention as soon as possible. By taking the appropriate precautions, you can help keep your child safe and prevent future accidental ingestions.